Nevertheless we went to Serangoon North to visit our fave pet shop to get Tofu and Tori a new cage. I know I said I would get a glass tank from Shane but it's is just impossible for me to travel all the way to Tampines and carry such a big and heavy tank back alone, especially during term time :s
Anyway back to their new cage, we just had to get one because I was so anxious that Tori would escape whilst I was asleep. When I was 15, that was how I lost Spicy - one of my Syrian hamster babies, and her mother Cookie. This apartment has too many odd nooks and crannies and I don't wish to risk losing any more hams :s
Not to mention, I suspect Tori may be carrying a medium to large litter. If she escapes, I will have completely no idea where to begin looking as she could give birth in so many different corners in a house like this. Also, if she comes back for food, she probably won't be able to carry her entire litter with her and I can't bear to even think of any baby hams starving to death somewhere in my house :s
So, yes. New cage. Though it is not the best cage on the market, at least I can sleep better. And thankfully it has a soundless wheel and comes with accessories. Not that I, after about a decade of ham-rearing, am in need of any more.
The top can be detached.It is actually a Syrian size cage with Syrian-sized everything, but Tori is so chubby, it's actually quite cosy for her and Tofu!
Tori was so fascinated by the huge wheel. I don't think she's seen one in her life :P The moment I put her in, she ran to it and started running on it immediately. After seeing her run almost around the clock for a day, I decided to remove the wheel periodically.
She doesn't seem to like being caged up after living in a tank though. She seems to hate the bars. At any time the cage door is opened, she will run out and jump onto my palm :s
As for Tofu, he seems perfectly settled in. He is more interested in the new food mix I've purchased from Marukan.

It is actually a baby rabbit food mix that is much higher in protein than the average hamster food mix. But it seems to contain almost everything that I feed them with anyway. It has much more variety than the marukan hamster mix, which I personally find is not as good.
Besides the hamster mix I usually add dried herbs, dried fruits, buckwheat, peanuts, salmon jerky and cheese. Because this mix has a variety of hay, raisins and yoghurt, it is so much easier (and cost effecitve) for me though it costs more :D I can just add peanuts ($0.95/pack) and salmon+cheese jerky ($2.00/pack) :D
I know many people will advise against giving hamsters a high protein diet and so would I usually, but I have been trying for ages to get Pepsi, Lemon and Tofu to gain weight. I'm glad they are finally putting on some weight after the change.
As for Tori's pregnancy, I am beginning to be quite sure she is pregnant after a about a week of wondering. This is because they haven't been seen mating for awhile, and in hamsters it should be once in every 4 days. Also, she is ordinarily a very chubby hammy, so it really was quite tough to tell.
However, her bulge in the womb area is un-mistakeable now, and her nipples are all showing. So I am really hoping for the delivery over the next few days.
Dad took the camera with him on his trip to Cambodia and will be only back on Saturday, though. So if she does have her babies, I will have to think of someone to loan a camera from :D
...
Going out later today. Kinda feels like I've been home too long, even though it's not exactly true.
I managed to complete my bag at last. It looks something like the one I made Rz, but I can't take any photos of it .. Argh. Is it possible I miss my camera more than I miss my dad? :P LOL
I also made Ai some stuff :) I originally said I'd make earrings, but I decided to give her a little surprise :P Again no pics because the camera is in Cambodia :s
I'm stuck with my lousy brandless daylight camera again :s But then I managed to utilise it this morning haha..

- 26 September 2006 11:06 am -
No comments:
Post a Comment